Alternative Prep for Colonoscopy
Colon Hydrotherapy is a safe and gentle alternate method of colon cleansing in preparation for a colonoscopy. This is an option for those who cannot tolerate the liquid laxatives. It is designed to clear the large intestine of waste through the infusion of warm filtered water. This must be scheduled immediately before your colonoscopy and will require and extra hour. Hydrotherapy is not covered by insurance plans. You will be contacted prior to the procedure regarding payment.
You will need to purchase one (1) 10 ounce bottle of Citrate of Magnesia and Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tablets over the counter at the drugstore. * Patients with Renal Disease may be advised to take a different laxative. Please check with the Doctor.
This is an educational internet based program, which we highly recommend you seeing. You will receive instructions on how to view it at home when you schedule your procedure.
At least one week before
Special instructions: Patients taking a blood thinner, such as Coumadin or Plavix, MUST contact the doctor who has ordered the blood thinner. This doctor will decide whether you should stop the medication before your colonoscopy.
Diabetic patiens taking INSULIN must check with their diabetes doctor regarding dosage prior to preparing for the procedure.
3 days prior
- Stop taking all herbal supplements, vitamins, iron and fiber supplements.
- Continue to take your daily prescribed medications. Please note recommendations on blood thinners noted above.
- Do not eat raw fruits or raw vegetables. Cooked or canned fruit/vegetables are okay.
- Do not eat corn, peas, seeds, popcorn or nuts.
2 days prior
Continue to follow above these restrictions
1 day before
- DRINK CLEAR LIQUIDS ONLY all day Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- NO FOOD. No DAIRY, No Alcohol, NO gum or hard candy, NOTHING RED OR PURPLE.
- May have: apple juice, white cranberry/white grape, popsicles , jello, Italian ice, ginger ale, Sprite, black coffee, black tea, Gatorade preferred. Drink an 8 oz glass of clear liquid every hour between 11am and 5pm
- At 5 pm Take the Citrate of Magnesia
- At 7pm take 4 dulcolax tablets.
- You may use Vaseline of diaper rash ointment to soothe the rectal area.
The day of
- Do not put anything into your mouth for at least 2 hours before your colonoscopy to allow for safe administration of anesthesia. No gum, candy, or food day of procedure.
- No diuretics or diabetic pills the morning of your procedure. Please take your other prescription medications with a sip of water at least 2 hours prior to your procedure.
- Have a responsible adult 18 years or older to accompany you home. This person will be advised to remain at the waiting room during your procedure.